Easy Thai Satay Chicken

     A few  people have been asking me lately why I stopped blogging. Did I stop cooking? Gosh no! I've been taking pics and just posting our culinary adventures on Facebook.  I've just been lazy when it came to posting on the blog. It's a lot of work and I wasn't sure if it was reaching an audience outside of my circle of immediate friends. 
     Fast forward to the end of July 2017 and I find myself sending some of my online only gaming friends to this blog for some of my easy go-to recipes for bread because they were asking for a simple first-time-bread-baker-friendly recipe. They enthusiastically reported back that it was a success and thanked me.  That made me feel great! 
     So here we go again! I've found renewed confidence and am thrilled to share our adventures with you!  Our first trip tonight starts off in Thailand.  The hubster and I have a profound love for Asian cuisine, especially Thai.  Although it may not be authentic Thai, this recipe I found on Café Delites' website made my day because I got to go to one of my favourite places - our local Asian Supermarket - to replenish my stock of Thai red curry paste. I also picked up some Tamarind purée and sweet soy sauce. The Tamarind is purely optional, but since I was there and I have lots of recipes that call for it, I thought to myself, why not pick up a small jar. The sweet soy sauce made the hubster very happy because finally we have what comes in the little sachet when he buys his sushi! 
     This is not a complicated recipe.  The shortcut here is buying the Thai red curry paste already made at the store.  This way, you don't have to buy the multitude of ingredients needed to make your own. (Although, I've done it before. It's fun, but it's a long process just to get a paste.) You can serve this dish with rice or over noodles. The sauce is to die for! It's very fragrant while it cooks and the smell will make your mouth water! Simply delicious!

  

Peanut Sauce - Photo by JayDi Photography

Thai Satay Chicken - Photo by JayDi Photography



Easy Thai Satay Chicken

Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
40 mins
Total Time
50 mins


Ingredients:

For The Chicken Marinade:

4 tablespoons coconut milk (from a 400ml tin)
1 1/2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 tablespoon Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce)
1 tablespoon fish sauce**
Pinch of salt
4 skinless chicken thighs , bone-in or out*
2 teaspoons oil for frying

For the Peanut Sauce:

1 1/3 cup coconut milk (all remaining milk from the tin)
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (all natural preferable)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Kecap manis)
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1/2 tablespoon Tamarind purée (optional)
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Cilantro leaves to garnish
Lime wedges to garnish
Red chillies , sliced to garnish

Instructions:

  1. For the chicken marinade, mix together the coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, curry paste, sauces and salt in a large, shallow bowl until well combined and creamy. Add in the chicken, turning to coat completely with the marinade. Allow to marinade for at least 10 minutes to half an hour in the refrigerator (if time allows). 
  2. Preheat oven to 400°F | 200°C. 
  3. Heat oil in an oven-proof pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken until browned on each side and fragrant (about 8-10 minutes each side). Transfer to the oven and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (juices run clear and no longer pink inside). 
  4. While the chicken is in the oven, combine all Peanut Sauce ingredients into a saucepan EXCEPT for the lime juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer until combined and thickened (about 5-6 minutes). Once thick, take off heat and stir in the lime juice (start with 1 tablespoon and adjust accordingly to suit your tastes). 
  5. Serve the chicken with the peanut sauce: either pour it all into the pan with the chicken OR serve separately. 
  6. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges and red chillies. 

Recipe Notes

*Boneless chicken breasts can be replaced. Adjust cook times accordingly.

**Replace Fish Sauce with Soy Sauce


Nutrition Facts
Easy Thai Satay Chicken
Amount Per Serving
Calories 542Calories from Fat 333
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37g57%
Saturated Fat 21g105%
Cholesterol 107mg36%
Sodium 1085mg45%
Potassium 657mg19%
Total Carbohydrates 24g8%
Dietary Fiber 1g4%
Sugars 17g
Protein 29g58%
Vitamin A27.1%
Vitamin C3.6%
Calcium5.1%
Iron25.4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Comments

Popular Posts