Spicy Apple Chutney


Spicy Apple Chutney - Photo by JayDi Photography


So Monday was our day off, and my wonderful husband suprised me with a lunch date at a little bistro downtown.  After this, we took a stroll through the market. I'd never been there and he had told me there was an amazing spice store. He wasn't lying. I indulged myself with spices that are harder to find in my local grocery store and in bigger quantities for less money. How could I pass that up?!  We walked by a butcher on the way out and he had some really nice butterfly cut pork chops and we couldn't pass those up either.  Seeing as the chops would be grilled, Jay asked, "Hey, can we make applesauce to go with the chops?" I took it one step further... let's make a Spicy Apple Chutney! Although he was not sure if he'd like it, he was game to give it a whirl. This was a really quick and simple dish to assemble and oh lordy, the intoxicating smell that permeated the house! Jay gives this fragrant and delicious condiment a big 2 thumbs up!

 

Spicy Apple Chutney

Ingredients:
1 pound apples (peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
1 small onion (diced)
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tablespoon garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon ginger (chopped)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne  (original recipe called for 1/2 tsp - feel free to customize to your heat palate)


Directions:
1. Bring everything to a boil in a large sauce pan, reduce the heat and simmer until it thickens, about 45-60 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts