Lemon Burst Cookies

Chocolate Coconut Burst Cookies - Photo by JayDi Photography
Hey, wait a tick! These don't look lemony at all!!  Well, let me tell you a story about just how versatile this recipe is.  Picture this, it's a Thursday, late afternoon of a very busy day at work when someone says, "Hey, we should have a potluck tomorrow!" Sure! Sounds great... but what am I going to make with what I have at home on such short notice?  In addition, I was working a late shift, so no running to the store after work.  I knew I had the Lemon Burst cookies that I wanted to try, but didn't have a lemon cake mix on hand.   I did, however, have a Devil's Chocolate cake mix at the back of the cupboard in case of emergency. (Yes, there are such things as cake emergencies!) So I started to go through the pantry to see what I could use as flavourings and I found coconut and coconut extract. Bingo!  We now have Chocolate Coconut Burst Cookies.

Lemon Burst Cookies  Chocolate Coconut Burst Cookies

Ingredients:
1 (18.25-ounce) package lemon cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Zest of 2 lemons
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon lemon extract
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon extract until well blended.
Place confectioner's sugar in a separate bowl.
Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and roll in confectioner's sugar until lightly coated and place on baking sheet.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Comments

Popular Posts