I want something yummy in my tummy - 5 Spice Honey Ribs



5 Spice Honey Ribs - Photo by JayDi Photography

It's a grey and gloomy Wednesday out there!  After working all day long, I want something easy and delicious for dinner tonight. I prepared the ribs and the marinade last night before bed and left it to marinate overnight.  When I get home today, all I have to do is pour everything into a roasting pan and pop it in the oven. While they bake and perfume my house with that exotic anise smell, I can get on with my sides. 

5 Spice Honey Ribs

Ingredients:
Marinade:
1/2 cup rice wine vingar
6 tbsp. soy sauce
4 red chilis, sliced
6" finger fresh ginger
6 tbsp. honey
5 star anise
2 sticks cinnamon, broken into several pieces
2 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 cup peanut oil
1 cup spring onions, chopped

Roasting Rub:
5 tbps. Chinese 5-Spice Powder
1/2 cup honey

To Serve:
1/2 cup spring onions, chopped
3 red chilis, sliced thinly
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped


Directions:
Mix together marinade ingredients. Cut apart ribs from 2 slabs pork spare ribs. Place ribs and marinade into large plastic bag and squish around until ribs are covered well with marinade. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.

Place ribs and marinade in roasting pan, cover with foil and bake in a 400ºF oven for one hour.

Uncover roasting pan- discard foil. Turn ribs in pan-liquid to moisten nicely, drizzle with roasting rub ingredients- the honey and 5-Spice Powder. Return to oven and continue roasting another half hour.

Remove ribs and place atop a plattered mound of aromatic jasmine or basmati rice. Sprinkle with the spring onions, sliced red chilis and chopped cilantro.

Comments

Popular Posts