Pumpkin Cake Roll

Pumpkin Cake Roll - Photo by JayDi Photography



I've been wanting to try this recipe for quite some time now and I wish I had done so sooner.  I brought this into work a few weeks ago for our Halloween potluck.  I was working the late afternoon shift, and this was such a cinch to get done that I even surprised myself. Now, when I bake pumpkin pies or pumpkin anything, I always make sure that I buy pure pumpkin puree. Well turns out I made a mistake last time and bought the pumpkin pie filling. I wasn't sure I would have a nice sponge since the pumpkin consistency was looser, and it was already sweetened and spiced up.  I decided to try it anyways. It worked! It worked very well!

The cake was a great hit with my colleagues and disappeared in record time.  I relayed this to the hubster and although he was happy that it was a success, he was also sad that he didn't get to try it out himself.  

Fast forward to this weekend, Jay asked what we could bake that wasn't too sweet and easy to make. I thought, hey, I still have some pumpkin filling, why not make another sponge roll.  We got it done in no time. The hubster was impressed at how easy it was to make, seeing as he took over the mixer, the filling, the rolling.  

Let me say this,  the roll isn't close to full size in the pic due to, um, quality control - yes, let's call it that.  Jay loved it! He was saying "Wow, oh Wow! Possibly the best thing you've ever baked!" That is such great praise.   Don't be like me and wait too long to make this pumpkin roll! Get on it now!



Pumpkin Cake Roll


Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + freezing
Yield: 10 Servings 


Ingredients


Cake:

3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup canned pumpkin (pumpkin pie filling also works, sponge will be darker)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt

Filling:

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Additional confectioners' sugar, optional


Directions



  1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. 
  2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and pumpkin, beating on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
  3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. 
  4. Fold into egg yolk mixture. 
  5. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently fold into pumpkin mixture. 
  6. Spread into prepared pan.
  7. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. 
  8. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side.
  9. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  10. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. 
  11. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze until firm.
  12. May be frozen for up to 3 months. 
  13. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts