Apple-Spice-Oatmeal Cookies

Apple Spice Oatmeal Cookies -- Photo by JayDi Photography 


The day after the hubster and I got home from our trip to the Big Apple, fittingly enough, I went apple picking with my sister, her husband and my niece. I thought I'd just be bringing back a few pounds of apple, but I walked off the orchard with 24.4 lbs or beautiful, red, fresh apples. The further we walked down the orchard, the bigger, redder and fuller the trees looked. They were just begging to be plucked of the tree. I couldn't resist.  And I certainly don't regret it. You'll be seeing a few posts in the coming weeks filled with apple deliciousness! Enjoy!

Apple-Spice-Oatmeal Cookies


Ingredients


1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 medium apples, peeled, chopped (2 cups)
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Directions:

  • Heat oven to 350°F. 
  • In large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter, the shortening, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until thoroughly mixed. Beat in eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla until well blended. Beat in oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and flour, scraping side and bottom of bowl once, just until blended. Stir in apples and walnuts.
  • On ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls (scant 1/4 cup) about 2 inches apart.
  • Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until edges are golden brown and centers are set. 
  • Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container. 

Comments

Popular Posts