Caramel Apple Crisp



Caramel Apple Crisp - Photo by JayDi Photography

Welcome to fall 2016! I haven't posted much this year, I know. I've been lazy and was linking the pics only to my Facebook page instead. For the last few months friends and family have been asking me about the blog because they want the recipes too. So we're back!

This weekend was Thanksgiving and the hubster and I spent it with my sister and her family. We went apple picking at a local orchard. The apples were sweet, and abundant.

The Family Selfie - Photo by Julie Blenkinsop

The Hubster and I - Photo by JayDiPhotography

After picking 22 lbs of apples,  I also picked up some fresh apple cider.  I can't lie, the ideas have been brewing ever since setting foot in the orchard.

As newly diagnosed diabetics, we've used the last year to learn how to adapt  our food to our new dietary needs.  The key is moderation in everything and we'll be able to enjoy the food we love! Obviously, our portions will be smaller than what the serving suggests, but at least we get to indulge in this ooey-gooey caramel-y apple deliciousness!


Caramel Apple Crisp


TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.


Ingredients

3 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup cold butter, cubed
8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
1 pkg (14 ounces) caramels, halved
1 cup apple cider, divided

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. 
  2. In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. 
  3. Press half of the mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. 
  4. Layer half of each of the following: apples, caramels and remaining oat mixture. 
  5. Repeat layers. 
  6. Drizzle 1/2 cup cider over top.
  7. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. 
  8. Drizzle with remaining cider; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until apples are tender.

Yield: 12 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts