Yorkshire Pudding

Yorkshire Pudding - Photo by JayDi Photography

After working a few weeks of late shifts (read Hubster 8-4 and myself  3-11), I wanted to make something special for dinner. It's the first meal we're able to have together in a week. So I made pot roast and roasted carrots, mashed potatoes and another swing at Yorkshire Puddings.  

He says his Mum used to make this on special occasions and he hadn't had it in a very long time.  Last year I made a first attempt that failed miserably. They didn't rise and I'm pretty sure we very narrowly escaped an oven fire. Chalk it up to too much oil in my pan. Let's just say I didn't want to revisit that for some time.  

About 6 months later, I tried again with a different recipe, they rose a bit, but sank quickly and not all of them made it out of the pan. Another disappointment.  Probably not enough oil and not hot enough. (for fear of fire like the last time). 

That was it for me. I thought I needed proper popover pans to successfully make them and I refuse to buy them frozen. Needless to say, I hadn't tasted an actual Yorkshire Pudding yet and was unimpressed with the fuss it required. 

Fast forward to last Sunday when I was watching Jamie Oliver's Christmas Special and saw him make Yorkies in a muffin tin with the simplest of recipes I'd ever seen for them. 

Well, looks like we made it right this time around.  Granted they don't have the height that they would in proper popovver tins, but the way that the Hubster devoured these, I'd say I succeeded without fire, smoke and all 12 came out easily!

Yorkshire Pudding

Makes 12


Ingredients:


Vegetable oil
2 large  eggs
100g plain flour
100ml milk
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper


Directions:


Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Get yourself a cupcake tin and add a tiny splash of vegetable oil into each of the 12 compartments (3/4 tsp each).
Pop into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes so the oil gets really hot.
Meanwhile, beat the eggs, flour, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper together in a large measuring cup until light and smooth.
Carefully remove the tray from the oven, then confidently pour the batter evenly into the compartments. Pop the tray back in the oven to cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until risen and golden.


Comments

Popular Posts