Fruit Cobbler

Fruit Cobbler - Photo by JayDi Photography

I love summertime.  The fresh local fruit is in season as sweet as can be.  This weekend was a busy one for us but I still wanted to have a little something sweet for dinner on Sunday.  You can use almost any fruit you'd like in this recipe. I've adapted it from a cherry cobbler that I've been wanting to make, however I didn't grab cherries from them market as they were really expensive this weekend and out of my budget.   I knew I still had a few bags of blueberries I had frozen from my last pick in September.  I also had raspberries and strawberries in the freezer too.  When the cobbler came out of the oven with it's bubbling goodness peeking through the dollops of  golden topping,  I knew I'd be making this again once I get my hands on cherries and come August, peaches!


Fruit Cobbler

Yield: 9 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to to 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes


Ingredients:


For the Fruit Filling:
2 pounds fresh or frozen fruit (pitted and sliced if required, depending on the fruit)
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon lemon juice

For the Cobbler Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
½ cup milk
Granulated sugar, for sprinkling

Directions:



1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking dish; set aside.
2. Make the Filling: Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the fruit and cook until thickened, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Pour the filling into the baking dish.
3. Make the Cobbler Topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the chilled butter and, using a pastry blender or your fingertips, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until there are no pieces of butter larger than the size of a pea. Add the milk and use a fork to gently stir the mixture until a lumpy dough forms (do not over mix).
4. Using a medium cookie scoop (or heaping 2 tablespoons), drop 9 portions of the batter spaced evenly over the top of the fruit mixture. Sprinkle the dough with additional granulated sugar. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the fruit mixture is bubbling and the cobbler topping is golden brown. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts